Re: [opensuse-factory] new desktop selection for opensuse

On 02/12/2017 12:10 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-02-11 14:30, Michael Ströder wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
I don't think so. You are implying that a novice should install
KDE and not XFCE. Not always so. The novice may have an old
computer, so he is directed to choose XFCE or LXDE The novice can
also be versed in another Linux distribution, maybe not used to
suse patterns.

Actually I install XFCE for all my novice Linux users coming from
Windows because that's what they are used to (looks very similar to
classic desktop on Windows 7 or earlier).

Absolutely!

BTW: Using KDE is not an option at all.

Yes, true. Nor is gnome.

So I'd really prefer if the installation routine does not make it
harder to choose XFCE.

Yes.

We have got slightly off track here, lets try and focus on the design
elements rather then the which desktops go where, if there is enough
community support / good reasoning its not hard to move a particular
desktop from one spot to the other. What I hope we can agree is just
presenting a list of 8 desktops + there icons too new users is quite
daunting so the plan is to make something better. Where individual
desktops end up sitting in that something better can be further
discussed later when its done. But I can guarantee selecting whichever
desktop you want won't be hard or hidden away in the new screens like
selecting Mate or LXQt is at the moment.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30