Re: [opensuse-factory] new desktop selection for opensuse

On 02/11/2017 05:34 AM, Roman Bysh wrote:
On 10/02/17 01:41 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-02-10 16:12, Josef Reidinger wrote:
Goal of that dialog would be to allow easy UI for common scenarios
like workstation with major desktops and minimal server. For other
users we allows patterns selection and even in summary you can
fine tune it with full software selection if you want. As can be
seen in third gif, picking e.g. lxde is also very easy with it,
just one click more.

First time users may want other desktops than the majors.

I miss at least the "minimal graphical install" that was available on
previous versions.

-- Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

What about Cinnamon? Very popular.

Roman

If it has a pattern in the main repo then it will show up under Other
when using the Net install (from memory its not on the DVD). There was a
number of criteria put forward as to why Gnome and KDE should have there
own position such as accessibility openQA test coverage and some others.
At some point (in another thread) we should formalize this so that if
another desktop like Cinnamon or Enlightenment claims to meet this
criteria they can put forward a good case to be added to the main list
but that is a separate discussion.

One of the main goals for this proposal is too make it easier and
clearer to install Mate, Cinnamon, LXQt and others but at the same time
not give new users a choice of 8+ desktops which would be confusing,
choosing between 2 is hard enough.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30