Re: [opensuse-factory] new desktop selection for opensuse
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 08:57:29 +0100
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 02:48:48 +0100

On 2017-02-09 18:03, Daniele wrote:
Il 09/02/2017 12:23, Josef Reidinger ha scritto:
Hi Factory users and developers, I am working on providing a new
desktop selection dialog in installation as specified in
https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/14936 . So after some
tweaking and thinking I use roles functionality dialog we already
had in SLES, just with desktop selection. It will allows us in
future more potential tuning for specified desktops.

You can see result in
https://github.com/yast/skelcd-control-openSUSE/pull/73 (
screenshots and videos ). What do you think about it? I welcome
any feedback. I add there to comparison also old work-flow where
is one screen with online repos which we currently integrate in
desktop selection.

Thanks for any feedback

Josef

HI, I don't like the "role" word for a desktop selection.

IMHO, Gnome/kde -> same role with different DE.

Thanks for feedback.

Likewise, I do not understand why using the word "role".

So what you suggest as better name? or do you agree with simon
suggestion lower, to use Desktop(GNOME) and Desktop(KDE) as role?

Also, it is not clear what happens when clicking "custom". Will I have
to play with choosing the appropriate patterns, or will there be a
simple tick to choose XFCE, LXDE, minimal X, etc?

I hope it is clear from video. You pick pattern there which fits your
needs. It is targeted for slightly more experienced users, that know
what they want ( in video I choose LXDE if I remember correctly ) and
it is pattern based, so it allows easy future addition of additional
repos.

Another behaviour that should be allowed would be choosing both KDE
and Gnome (and more) right at the first install (without going to
patterns).

I worry that it would confuse users even more. E.g. which desktop
manager to pick? what will be default? and some others together do not
make much sense, like text based server and kde together.

Josef

- --
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.