Re: [opensuse-factory] new desktop selection for opensuse

On 02/10/2017 12:18 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2017-02-09 18:03, Daniele wrote:
Il 09/02/2017 12:23, Josef Reidinger ha scritto:
Hi Factory users and developers, I am working on providing a new
desktop selection dialog in installation as specified in
https://progress.opensuse.org/issues/14936 . So after some
tweaking and thinking I use roles functionality dialog we already
had in SLES, just with desktop selection. It will allows us in
future more potential tuning for specified desktops.

You can see result in
https://github.com/yast/skelcd-control-openSUSE/pull/73 (
screenshots and videos ). What do you think about it? I welcome
any feedback. I add there to comparison also old work-flow where
is one screen with online repos which we currently integrate in
desktop selection.

Thanks for any feedback

Josef

Another behaviour that should be allowed would be choosing both KDE
and Gnome (and more) right at the first install (without going to
patterns).

I'll have a proper look at this later today, but for now i'll just
disagree with Carlos on the above point, this part of the installer
should be as simple and friendly to new and less experienced users as
possible, to do that I don't think you should be able to select both at
this point, power users can go into the patterns and enable extras if
they would like anyway. Further to that selecting both adds further hard
questions to solve, like if you select both at this point should sddm or
gdm be used? If its configured to load straight to desktop bypassing
login which should be selected etc?

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30