[opensuse-factory] Re: Systemd regression in recent snapshot?
Hi,

On 02/09/2017 05:00 AM, Jason DeRose wrote:
I'm sorry to bother the list with this but I didn't get any response on
the forum.

I believe there is a regression in the recent systemd update.

I installed tumbleweed fresh about two weeks ago on the then-current
snapshot, and everything was working great, until a few days ago when I
updated. When systemd was updated, it didn't seem to restart.

(243/531) Installing: systemd-232-2.1.x86_64
.......................................[done]
Additional rpm output:
Failed to reload daemon: Failed to activate service
'org.freedesktop.systemd1': timed out

It might have happened if systemd was already dead before the package
update...

It would have been nice to look at the content of the journal otherwise
it's pretty hard to guess why systemd crashed. This might happen if your
system was running out of memory.

I was then unable to shutdown, and when I restarted the boot hung after
USB device detection. After a period of time I saw messages:

[103s] [sytemd-journald] Failed to send WATCHDOG=1 notification message:
Connection refused
[223s] ]systemd-journald] Failed to send WATCHDOG=1 notification
message: Transport endpoint is not connected

It looks like systemd is dead again.

I then tried the 2017-02-06 snapshot (and again tonight I tried the
02-07 snapshot) and both result in the same message and unsuccessful
boot. I initially believed this issue to be related to recent Xorg or
AMDGPU issues but blacklisting both radeon and AMDGPU and setting
runlevel to 3, all results in the same issue.

I would suggest to:

- try to boot with the debug logs enabled (append "debug
printk.devkmsg=on to the kernel command line via the grub menu) and try
to find something relevant

- try also to boot with "systemd.confirm_spawn=1" (append it to the
kernel command line and keep the debug logs enabled). This will allow to
start all services interactively during the boot process. This might
allow you to locate the failure more easily.