Re: [opensuse-factory] Next snapshot with updated systemd and plymouth

Hello,

On Feb 1 13:02 Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Wednesday 2017-02-01 10:36, Johannes Meixner wrote:

I like continuously reported info messages[...] As long as such
messages are continuously reported it is obvious "that thingy is
still doing something". When it fails one can directly see its last
messages regardless whether or not one understands the meaning.
[...] I do not necessarily mean a full screen of such messages.
Only one or a few status message lines (at the bottom) are
perfectly sufficient as user information.

That sounds just exactly like what plymouth is doing. The progress
bar is the message. It meets the criteria of "not occupying the
entire screen". It meets the criteria that while "that thingy is
still doing something", it will update. And when it fails or does
nothing (hello overly long systemd timeouts), one can see its last
(textual) message with ESC, whether one understands the meaning of
the text or not.

You left out an important part from what I had written
which makes it look different compared to what I meant
and a progress bar is no info messages.

I had also written:
... SUSE and Fedora and Ubuntu show basically
empty screens - sometimes even with some meaningless
animated graphical stuff that tells exactly nothing ...

Additionally: Let the user do this or that (e.g. pressing
whatever key or so) to get some meaningful output
on a basically empty screen is not what I meant.

FYI:
I cannot make statements what is good or bad by default for
openSUSE users because I think I am not a "normal openSUSE user".
(I know how to change it to make it work o.k. for my own needs.)

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)