Re: [opensuse-factory] Next snapshot with updated systemd and plymouth
Le mercredi 01 février 2017 à 10:54 +0100, Dominique Leuenberger /
DimStar a écrit :
On Wed, 2017-02-01 at 10:18 +0100, Frederic Crozat wrote:

Le mercredi 01 février 2017 à 09:51 +0100, Oliver Neukum a écrit :

Am Dienstag, den 31.01.2017, 16:06 +0100 schrieb Robby Engelmann:

Ohh, there are more than that one. I remember, that I also
commented
on one of
these: no graphical input, instead textmode input is shown.
The question is, whether these are indeed related...
This time, no imput is shown at all (here in approx. 20% of the
reboots).

Hi,

given the endless number of bugs we see with plymouth
I think we should just drop it.

How about trying to work with upstream on fixing the issues ?

Fabian has been very active in the last couple days to sort out some
things in our plymouth package - to the biggest surprise, almost all
hist fixes were 'drop an openSUSE patch here and there'. Seems quite
some patches are just not up-do the task there.

Yes, this is extremely unfortunate :(

From hearing around, it seems Fedora is not struggling that much with
plymouth - so either their usecases are just less critical than ours
or
some of our 'bugs' are not considered there . In any case, I'd say it
shows once again: downstream patches are evil! Work with upstream to
get our ideas merged there. Let's not develop the same applications
in
silos but SHARE the work.

I also think part of the issues we are seeing are caused by a different
in the defaults between Fedora and openSUSE Leap (and SLE ):
- for quite some time, Fedora has been using VT1 for boot splash AND
for graphical session.
- openSUSE Leap (and SLE) stayed with the old default where VT1 is
still a text console and VT7 is graphical. To ensure there is no
flickering between boot splash and X starting, this required boot to
start on VT7. And unfortunately, this VT switch can cause deadlock
(which is not visible on Fedora, of course).

I don't remember if TW is affected. But, with my SLE Release Manager
hat, changing this default is "difficult" because it breaks what users
(or customers) are expecting.. Even if it means less bugs in the end.

Maybe this is something we need to revisit for next major Leap (43.x)
and SLE13..

--
Frederic Crozat
Enterprise Desktop Release Manager