Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
On Mon, Jan 23, L A Walsh wrote:

Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
Same problem for all other subvolumes like /var/log, /var/spool,
etc.
I wonder if we should also rethink the subvolume layout a bit while
we are at it. Maybe instead of creating lots of separate volumes,
/var itself needs to become a subvolume?
That was my very first idea, but is not possible because of /var/lib/rpm.
The RPM database has to stay on the root subvolume.
Thorsten
======
Problem: any system setup according to "best practices" would have
a heavy read/write volume like "/var" on a separate volume already.

Generally, it's considered "best practice" to put subdirs with
substantially
different update/write cycles to be split off to a separate volume.

"best practice" is always special and not common practice.
If you want to use snapshots and rollback, your "best practice" is
a bad choice and you need to find a new "best practice", which works
together with snapshots, rollback and your requirements.

I wouldn't assume that '/var' is on a root volume -- mine has never been
that way.

If you use btrfs with snasphots and rollback, it is always on
the root volume.

Thorsten