[opensuse-factory] Re: ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
Same problem for all other subvolumes like /var/log, /var/spool,
etc.
I wonder if we should also rethink the subvolume layout a bit while
we are at it. Maybe instead of creating lots of separate volumes,
/var itself needs to become a subvolume?
That was my very first idea, but is not possible because of /var/lib/rpm.
The RPM database has to stay on the root subvolume.
Thorsten
======
Problem: any system setup according to "best practices" would have
a heavy read/write volume like "/var" on a separate volume already.

Generally, it's considered "best practice" to put subdirs with substantially
different update/write cycles to be split off to a separate volume.

I sometimes wonder if '/etc' is busy enough to split off of root,
but its changes are limited to configuration changes for the most part,
and not likely to be on a near continuous basis like '/var'.

I wouldn't assume that '/var' is on a root volume -- mine has never been
that way.