Re: [opensuse-factory] ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

Same problem for all other subvolumes like /var/log, /var/spool,
etc.

I wonder if we should also rethink the subvolume layout a bit while
we are at it. Maybe instead of creating lots of separate volumes,
/var itself needs to become a subvolume?

That was my very first idea, but is not possible because of /var/lib/rpm.
The RPM database has to stay on the root subvolume.

May sound heretical but it could be moved to /usr :-) /usr will be
rw during package installation (ie when the rpmdb needs to be modified)
and can be ro otherwise.
If we think of /usr as the location where the operating system is,
then it could be argued that the index of things that are part of the
operating system also belongs there.

cu
Ludwig

--