Re: [opensuse-factory] ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
On dimanche, 22 janvier 2017 10.56:46 h CET Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Sat, Jan 21, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
On samedi, 21 janvier 2017 14.46:19 h CET Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
4. RPM, which installs directories or data into directories, which

are subvolumes, needs to be adjusted. This will not work.
Example: /var/cache is an own subvolume. Quite some RPMs
create directories and data there, and some of them will stop
working if you remove this directories.
That's bad even without transactional updates, a system
administrator should always be allowed to delete the cache.
A better way is to create the directories during boot with
tmpfiles.d(5).
Same problem for all other subvolumes like /var/log, /var/spool,
etc.

I've some difficulties to understand why it's bad ?
I want to have my squid cache stored and stay on disk so it's persitant.
Same apply for zypper If I want to keep packages ...

Assume e.g. you want to cleanup your disk because you are running out
of disk space.
And this is a requirement of the FHS, too: An admin should always be
allowed to delete the cache and applications should be able to handle
that.

Thorsten

The inside of (I'm still using a real example) of /var/cache/squid can be
cleaned at any time by the administrator. And the actual systemd service file
will handle according to the configuration the rebuild of cache hierachy.

But /var/cache/squid has to be owned by someone so it can be cleanup in case
of removal of squid package.

Seem to what I understand from you point of view, is that we should have a
%ghost /var/cache/squid in %files section and then a squid.conf in /usr/lib/
tempfiles.d that create this directory if not existing on boot.

Did I understand your proposal when translated to real package ?

--

Bruno Friedmann
Ioda-Net Sàrl www.ioda-net.ch