Re: [opensuse-factory] ANNOUNCE: transactional updates for Tumbleweed
On Sat, Jan 21, Bruno Friedmann wrote:

On samedi, 21 janvier 2017 14.46:19 h CET Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
4. RPM, which installs directories or data into directories, which
are subvolumes, needs to be adjusted. This will not work.
Example: /var/cache is an own subvolume. Quite some RPMs
create directories and data there, and some of them will stop
working if you remove this directories.
That's bad even without transactional updates, a system
administrator should always be allowed to delete the cache.
A better way is to create the directories during boot with
tmpfiles.d(5).
Same problem for all other subvolumes like /var/log, /var/spool,
etc.

I've some difficulties to understand why it's bad ?
I want to have my squid cache stored and stay on disk so it's persitant.
Same apply for zypper If I want to keep packages ...

Assume e.g. you want to cleanup your disk because you are running out
of disk space.
And this is a requirement of the FHS, too: An admin should always be
allowed to delete the cache and applications should be able to handle
that.

Thorsten