Re: [opensuse-factory] Could tracker _not_ be included with Xfce installations?
On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 12:08 +0200, Roger Price wrote:
<rant>

I installed 42.2 Beta 2 with the Xfce window manager.  With that I
get,
without me asking for it, tracker 1.8.0.  This program is launched,
without me
asking for it, to burn up cpu cycles and thrash disks indexing all my
files
including videos and photos.  It is of no use to me - I do not need
such
"help".

zypper info --recomends patterns-openSUSE-xfce

=> it explicitly lists tracker

When I remove tracker, Yast tells me that I have to remove Gnome's
Brasero
as well - ok, so Brasero goes, but why must a CD burner call for
indexing
of every CD it sees?

That is likely inaccurate - are you sure you tried to remove TRACKER
and not libTRACKER* ??The libraries need to be present if you want to
ru brasero (it links theM - they are not doing anything if tracker, the
daeon, is not there though... and removing tracker should be possible
without removing brasero

Could tracker _not_ be included with Xfce installations?  The users
of Xfce are
looking for something simple and lightweight.  For myself I install
locate
(package mlocate) which does all the indexing I need.

Sure - as noted earlier: the xfce pattern explicitly pulls it in; this
can be changed.

Cheers,
Dominique