[opensuse-factory] RFC: Remove lxdm (NOT LXDE!) from Tumbleweed
Hello everybody,

In an attempt to clean up deprecated packages I stumbled across
ConsoleKit, which we still carry in openSUSE:Factory

At this moment, there is actually only one package left that depends on
ConsoleKit - the package being lxdm.

Yes, of course, this is part of LXDE, but it is not mandatory to have
an OWN display manager for every desktop environment (anyway only one
will be active on any given system).

What would be the general feeling of dropping lxdm from the
distribution and use lightdm as the 'favorite' DM when installing a
lightdm setup afresh? lightdm is also lighweight and is used by a
couple other DEs as well, so sharing this would certainly make sense.

And to make it clear: I am not advocating to remove all of LXDE, only
the display manager.

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >