Re: [opensuse-factory] xinetd socket services replacement
By "obsoleting" xinetd I hope you don't mean removal, at least in the
near term. As detailed in http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/inetd.html,
systemd does not have feature parity with xinetd, in all respects, and
certain functionality, such as "only_from" require creating iptables
rules, which with SuSEfirewall2 isn't always pretty. Meaning such
addition are not are not supported by "yast firewall services" which
requires custom scripting to add values to
FW_SERVICES_ACCEPT_{EXT,DMZ,INT}. Perhaps systemd.network or firewalld
will be extended to more easily achieve this, unless I've missed
something, but who know if/when that is coming.

I'm not saying this isn't the "better" approach, just that xinetd
shouldn't be removed anytime soon and that it has it's place.

--
Later,
Darin