Re: [opensuse-factory] New package proposal: jgrep
  • From: "Dmitriy Perlow" <dap.darkness@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 12:31:05 +0300
Bernhard M. Wiedemann <bernhardout@xxxxxxxx> Sun, 29 May 2016 11:47:36 +0300:

On 2016-05-28 17:53, Dmitriy Perlow wrote:

However packaging is a bit tricky. 1) jgrep normally requires maven at
build time but there are no maven at openSUSE Factory. 2) Maven
requires about *teen plugins for jgrep and no one is packaged at all.
That is why upstream and I decided to let maintainer make jar file and
invoke it at %prep stage.

Is *.jar bundling allowed at OBS? openSUSE Factory?

for the same reasons we do the same for jenkins, which is in OBS but not
Factory.
The major downside of the method is that you lose many advantages of
free software, e.g. the possibility to add patches to add experimental
patches (before they go upstream).

It is possible but only at localhost…

And you also need to take greater care to fulfill the license (e.g. ship
the source for (L)GPL).

License is Apache-2. Sources are provided to build C library required at runtime.

There is
https://github.com/moio/tetra
allowing to build a package from source, but it still leaves the 100
deps as binary-only-jars. And often the patches we needed were in
bundled jars, not jenkins itself. So also not perfect.

During past years several people have tried and failed to improve the
maven packaging mess.

We have super packaging power for haskell but not for java. It makes me smile.

Thank you for tips!

--
Best regards,
Dmitriy Perlow