Re: [opensuse-factory] Real Time on openSUSE
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 10:27:54 -0400
On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Jason Newton <nevion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As a former heavy user of real time preempt patch and RTAI, I found for many
tasks I no longer needed it in the last few years. I'd recommend putting in
some fine grained auditing for time of computations/io stages and measure
the timing/jitter/stats as time series to analyze system behavior. You
might find it works perfectly fine for you with the desktop kernel.
Basically the timing jitter we're talking here, assuming you've set your
schedulers, split things up appropriately, and tuned the slow/problematic
spots, down to a millisecond or under. I've had IO jitter, through use of
tmpfs or carefully written IO to XFS be very low jitter as well - but this
is a larger discussion (which the RT patch wont solve) if you have large
datarates (several hundred MiB/s).

Millisecond timing jitter is a problem for what we are doing.

I honestly don't think it's worth the effort to maintain it in a repo with
all the other kernels since the versions it works with are out of sync with
their stable release.

RTAI is out-of-sync with stable releases, but RT-Preempt is kept in
sync. For example the 4.6 patch set was released before the 4.6
kernel was released.