Re: [opensuse-factory] libpci.so.3 accidentally broke ABI
  • From: "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 16:54:22 +0700
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 11:06:53 AM WIB Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
wrote:
On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 16:01 +0700, C. Brouerius van Nidek wrote:
On Thursday, May 26, 2016 9:51:42 AM WIB Dominique Leuenberger /
DimStar

wrote:
On Thu, 2016-05-26 at 01:44 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
pciutils (3.4.1 -> 3.5.0)

This package also delviers libpci.so.3, which by accident lost a
symbol, making the library ABI incompatible with the old one.

This shows with various applications not starting when this has
been
updated (most notably probably chromium)

If you did not yet update libpci3, I recommend for now to lock it
(zypper al libpci3) - this will keep version 3.4.1 around. The next
snapshot should hopefully already solve this (chromium got a
rebuild
against the new lib and will use the new provided symbol).

There is also an update of pciutils 3.5.1 pending, which restores
that
missing symbol so that stuff that currently fails will not have to
be
rebuilt in the future.

Dear Dominique,

And what are we going to do if we have already updated the libpci3
file?
My Chromium does not want to run and in konsole it reacts with:

/usr/lib64/chromium/chromium: relocation error:
/usr/lib64/chromium/lib/
libgpu.so: symbol pci_init, version LIBPCI_3.0 not defined in file
libpci.so.3
with link time reference

Where could I find the version 3.4.1? And would a downgrade give me a
working
chromium?

http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/suse/x86_64/?P=libpci3
*

Old RPMs, as usual, are kept for a short time on the mirror exactly for
such cases.

rpm -Uhv --oldpackage http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
suse/x86_64/?P=libpci3*

might help it...

you might be easier off getting the new 3.5.1 though at:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Base:/System/openSUSE_Tumblew
eed/x86_64/?P=libpci3*

(better to go forward and fix it than back and break other stuff)

Have taken the plunge forward and now Chromium seems to work.
Thanks for the assistance.

Constant

--
Linux User 183145 using Tumbleweed on a Pentium IV
System : Linux 4.5.4-1-default