Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: How Leap and SLE's timetable overlap
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 06:02:20PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 5:38 AM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Richard Brown <ilmehtar@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

For people like you who buy USB 3.1 Gen 2 Ludicrous speed cards so early
in the protocols existence the Kernel doesn't support it yet, we have
Tumbleweed.

Or they can use Kernel:stable on top of Leap, which combines the
stability with extra hardware support.

Even kernel stable is moving much faster than my proposal.

Is it reasonable to ask for a Kernel:LTS repo to be created?

As I said yesterday in my response to Carlos, it's not a technical
problem, the infrastructure exists and virtually anyone can do it. After
all, the kernel intended for Evergreen 13.1 lived in my home project for
over a year and some people were happily using it from there. And
I believe if such kernel branch is well maintained, its OBS project
might be even given some nicer name.

So IMHO the real problem of what you are asking is not a repository but
someone to prepare the kernel branch and - even more important -
maintain it for its whole lifetime. Unless I misunderstood you and you
meant to volunteer to do the work, rather than requesting it from poor
old Mr. Someone Else.

If it existed back in Jan 2016, it could have been populated with 4.4
then and "early" adopters of the Leap 42.2 kernel could have started
to test it.

Looks like another mail of mine went unnoticed... What would you get
this way would be very different from openSUSE-42.2 kernel we have now.
There is a big difference between just basing on an upstream LTS and
basing on a maintained SLE kernel. (I'm not looking forward to the
discussions about Leap 42.3 kernel where this is likely to become
a real dilemma.)

Michal Kubeček