Re: [opensuse-factory] Whither %systemd_requires, begone?
On Wed, May 25, Johannes Meixner wrote:

I am thinking about a separated (sub)-package "foo-systemd"
that contains the systemd pieces for the "foo" software
(usually systemd unit files and systemd RPM scriptlets
and the %{?systemd_requires} RPM requirements).

Without systemd or without "foo-systemd" it is up to the admin
how to launch /usr/sbin/foo when it should be used as a service.

I think "foo-systemd" must have a RPM requirement for "foo"
but "foo" must not have a RPM requirement for "foo-systemd"
when the plain "foo" software can run without systemd.

In "foo" a RPM recommends for "foo-systemd" could be correct
or (perhaps better) a "Supplements: foo" in "foo-systemd".

This would become a nightmare. A lot of people would only get
the main package installed but not the systemd start scripts.
In a lot of cases it doesn't make sense to evaluate recommends,
so we disable them. Else you would get installed all the packages
again you deselected before. And you don't want to do the deselect
step with every update.

Thorsten

GF: Felix Imend├Ârffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG N├╝rnberg)