Re: [opensuse-factory] Whither %systemd_requires, begone?

Hello,

On May 24 16:49 Jan Engelhardt wrote (excerpt):
About *all* of our packages also depend on the presence of the
"filesystem" package, yet there is no rpm require tag for that anywhere.
Therefore, 980389 suggested, in a note bene, to preinstall systemd
through these same means as aaa_base/filesystem rather than through
Requires(pre).

I do fully agree and even more:

In the end what I would like to have is that the package
that provides the actual software for a service provides
only the plain software (e.g. /usr/sbin/foo) but all what
belongs to using that plain software as a service should
be provided separated from the plain software.

I am thinking about a separated (sub)-package "foo-systemd"
that contains the systemd pieces for the "foo" software
(usually systemd unit files and systemd RPM scriptlets
and the %{?systemd_requires} RPM requirements).

Without systemd or without "foo-systemd" it is up to the admin
how to launch /usr/sbin/foo when it should be used as a service.

I think "foo-systemd" must have a RPM requirement for "foo"
but "foo" must not have a RPM requirement for "foo-systemd"
when the plain "foo" software can run without systemd.

In "foo" a RPM recommends for "foo-systemd" could be correct
or (perhaps better) a "Supplements: foo" in "foo-systemd".

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)