Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: How Leap and SLE's timetable overlap
On 2016-05-25 13:24, Bjoern Voigt wrote:
Andreas Schwab wrote:
Richard Brown <ilmehtar@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

For people like you who buy USB 3.1 Gen 2 Ludicrous speed cards so early
in the protocols existence the Kernel doesn't support it yet, we have
Tumbleweed.
Or they can use Kernel:stable on top of Leap, which combines the
stability with extra hardware support.
This is a good point.

Indeed it is :-)

I would suggest a special download option: openSUSE Leap with updated
hardware support (mainly a Kernel from Kernel_stable; but optional also
an updated graphical subsystem etc.).

I like the idea. Distribute Leap with an LTS kernel, and provide an
option to upgrade to a more recent kernel for those that need that
hardware support. On "as is" basis, not full support, but neither
"kernel of the day".

A problem with the Kernel_stable kernels is sometimes, that the
commercial graphics drivers are not compatible. Currently we have this
with the recommended NVidia driver 361.42 and kernel 4.6.

If the optional kernel remains the same version for a longish period
maybe the rpm could be provided for it. Else, you need the .run package
instead.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 "Bottle" at Telcontar)