Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: How Leap and SLE's timetable overlap
  • From: Bjoern Voigt <bjoernv@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 13:24:04 +0200
Andreas Schwab wrote:
Richard Brown <ilmehtar@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

For people like you who buy USB 3.1 Gen 2 Ludicrous speed cards so early
in the protocols existence the Kernel doesn't support it yet, we have
Tumbleweed.
Or they can use Kernel:stable on top of Leap, which combines the
stability with extra hardware support.
This is a good point. Personally I often see in forums like "Linux statt
Windows" ("Linux instead of Windows", a forum where absolute Linux
newbies meet more experienced users) that beginners have two big questions:

* Which distribution supports my brand-new hardware?
(Okay, some users also begin with old hardware, but they haven't the
described problem.)
* Why does my XYZ component not work with the distribution recommended
for Newbies?

Tumbleweed is not the best choice for newbies. Leap with Kernel_stable
is acceptable, but also not so newbie friendly.

I would suggest a special download option: openSUSE Leap with updated
hardware support (mainly a Kernel from Kernel_stable; but optional also
an updated graphical subsystem etc.).

A problem with the Kernel_stable kernels is sometimes, that the
commercial graphics drivers are not compatible. Currently we have this
with the recommended NVidia driver 361.42 and kernel 4.6.

Greetings,
Björn