Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE Leap 42.2 Alpha1 released
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 21:35:15 +0200
On 24 May 2016 at 21:02, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:44 AM, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
There are two exceptions though. The SLE12SP2 Beta1 sources landed
in OBS and we got Qt 5.6 and kernel 4.4 from there already.

Is there any chance that 42.2 will get a 4.6 or newer kernel?

The key feature for me is much better USB 3.1 support. USB 3.1 has
been around for a while now, so it seems like something that should be
better supported in Leap 42.2.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=USB3.1-More-For-Linux-4.6

ps: I know 4.4 is a LTS kernel, I just don't when the next LTS kernel
may come along. Sometime this summer would not be a surprise:

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

Thanks
Greg

Greg, please, no

For starters, Kernel 4.4 has sufficient USB 3.1 support
Kernel 4.6 is adding USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices (aka SuperSpeedPlus)
USB 3.1 devices is not the same as Type-C or power delivery, both of
which are supported in Kernel 4.4
I have not yet seen any hardware that requires USB 3.1 Gen 2 support

If anyone out there has it, then I consider them likely to be the kind
of cutting edge, technological enthusiast who would be better served
by Tumbleweed.

As Yamaban has already said, Kernel 4.4 is the LTS release for 2016

We are releasing Leap 42.2 in 2016

Furthermore, it's the Kernel which is going to be in SLE 12 SP2,
meaning we get SLE patches, which is a good thing

If you want a different kernel version, please realise that the Leap
release model (which means 42.1 will be supported for 6 months after
Leap 42.2's release, not 2 months like the old openSUSE model).

This means our Kernel team is going to have to support 2 kernels for a
longer period of time than they ever had to before. That's a lot of
work for them (especially as Leap 42.1 already chose something other
than the SLE kernel)

Taking the SLE Kernel effectively nullifies that extra work, provides
a more stable foundation for Leap users, ensures Leap users are going
to get a kernel that is constantly patched and exceptionally well
maintained, and is still newer than the
4.1 Kernel which was 2015's LTS Kernel and is in Leap 42.1

It's the best option we have today, it's the best option we will have
over summer, and will be the best for users when we release Leap 42.2
in November.