Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2016/1
  • From: James PEARSON <pearson45j@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 20:57:11 +0100
On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 13:01:13 +0100
Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

This is the first review of the year – and will cover the four
snapshots 20151231, 20160101, 20160105 and 20160107.

I really appreciate all this hard work and I really do like being on
the bleeding edge but after 5 months on TW with no real problems - I
would like to state that I had to move my main machine at home to Leap
this last week due to an annoying bleeding cursor problem after the
20160105 update.

I uploaded a screenshot to show what I mean

I believe that the bleeding cursor problem (which started as of the
20160105 update) is due to my video card : SAPPHIRE NITRO R 280 4 Go

openSUSE picks it up as a "Tonga PRO [Radeon R9 285/380]"

I did a fresh install after the 20160105 update (the next evening just
to check) but the annoying bleeding cursor problem problem was still
there.

The reason why I think that the problem is due to my video card is that
I did not have any problems after updating another TW machine which is
basically the same as my my main machine except for an older AMD video
card. I also did not have any problems after updating my Lenovo X200s
Thinkpad (which has an intel chipset). I just did a zypper dup on to
double check again and all is OK.

I downloaded the openSUSE-Tumbleweed-DVD-x86_64-Snapshot2016010
this weekend and wiped Leap and did another fresh install yesterday on
my main machine and added updates (20160107) but the bleeding curseur
problem was still there.

I did another fresh install and restalled Leap and it went away. No
problems to report on my other test machines however.

I am eager to move back to TW but I would like to go on record and say
that running VMware Workstation 12 Pro for a day or 2 at a time is
more stable on Leap than TW (but I guess that is what Leap is all
about).

Regards
James