Re: [opensuse-factory] 13.1 to Leap 42.1
Yamaban composed on 2015-10-30 23:50 (UTC+0100):

Johannes Kastl wrote:

Bob Williams wrote:

What is the recommended way to move from openSUSE 13.2 to Leap
42?

I would like to ask a similar question:

Has anyone tried to go from 13.1 to Leap without installing 13.2 first ?

Most of my machines are running 13.1, and if it works I would like
to skip 13.2, if possible...

First: Never ever try a "online distro upgrade" aka "zypper dup" for
such a two version step. At best it will seem to work and fail later.

That's been the standard recommendation since forever, but I doubt there's
much reason to pay attention to it for this particular case. The way I
understand it, Leap is built on a foundation of SLE12+ mixed with packages
from Factory aka Tumbleweed, which means package versions in Leap can be
older than versions in 13.2.

13.2 currently runs on systemd-0210-25.16.1, Leap on systemd-210-84.1, 13.1
(via updates) on systemd-208, 13.1 (via repositories/Base:/System:/Legacy,
which most of my 13.1 installations are already running, poised to go into
Evergreen) systemd-210-74.1. At this level, it shouldn't make much difference
whether upgrading from 13.1 or 13.2.

13.2's glibc is 2.19, Leap's glibc 2.19, 13.1's 2.18, so likely not significant.

OTOH, maybe the mixture of newer and older suggests a more better than usual
plan would be a fresh installation.

I do a lot of upgrading during pre-release cycles, but not once did I try
13.1 to Leap. Only once did I try 13.2 to Leap, which produced a poor result,
details of which I don't remember other than it was via installation media
rather than zypper. All other upgrades from 13.2 here have been to TW, via
zypper and all those went OK.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/