Re: [opensuse-factory] Boot of iso image on USB stick with Tumbleweed on Dell Lattitude E5500 failed
  • From: "C. Brouerius van Nidek" <cbroueriusvannidek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 13:11:48 +0700
On Thursday, October 29, 2015 02:23:47 PM Trent Hawkins wrote:
On 29 October 2015 at 09:26, Freek de Kruijf <freek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I tried to boot from a USB stick on which I wrote the iso image of the
latest Tumbleed 20151022 using SUSE Studio Imagewriter on a Dell laptop
Lattitude E5500.

Obviously I rearranged in the BIOS to start looking for a bootable image
from a USB device.

The laptop did not see a bootable image on the USB stick and started from
the hard disc.

I searched the Internet for a solution, but did not find one.

Anyone succeeded in installing openSUSE on this laptop?

Maybe just dd to USB?

Also I used to have a Dell and vaguely remember being able to directly
select the device to boot from/rather than just changing the boot order?

Trent

Remember (that I think Felix Miata had) a method of installing an Iso from
Grub. Do not know how that works with Grub2 but suggest that you start
Googling for something like "installing Iso with Grub'"
Changing that to a workable installation method also for Grub2 could not be
that difficult.

In that case you just copied the iso on your harddisk and you had to make an
entrance in Grub.
Groetjes, Constant

Linux User 183145 using KDE4 Tumbleweed on a Pentium IV ,