Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed installation fails with LVM error code -4013
  • From: Neil Rickert <nrickert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:40:34 -0500
On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 12:06:59 PM stakanov@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

for mageia the disk is empty. (WTF???). So I said, can happen, I went to
put in the tumbleweed (latest available snapshot) in the dvd and started
the installation. Comes out that Tumbleweed does ask you for a password for
the tumbleweed installation on an empty disk. So I looked and yes, the
former partitioning seems to be there. I then choose: propose a
partitioning, attributed the whole disk, set to encrypted LVM. Anomaly:
here it did not ask me for the password. I thought it would later on but
now.
Then installing it gives the following error:
LVM_VG_REMOVE_FAILED
error code -4013
/sbin/vgrepremove'system' -f
command failed with status code 5

This looks a bit similar to the issues that I had when installing 20151017.
I've described this in a blog post at
https://nwrickert2.wordpress.com/2015/10/23/my-tumbleweed-install-for-october/

I deleted the luks partition, then retried with some success. I'm guessing
that if you did not give the LUKS password, it might have worked. That is to
say, it could not remove the partition because it was busy, having been opened
when you provided the password.

I had an additional issue. The partitioner seemed to allocate a small
partition for "/boot". Except it did not configure it for "/boot" and it did
not set a file system. I had to fix that in the custom partitioner.

If you have an open bug report on this, then mention the bug number and I
might add notes from my experience.