Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: eth0 Vote
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 14:04:45 +0300
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Michael Ströder <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
See my other reply. You added additional PCI bridge(s) which caused
all subsequent numbers to be shifted. Basically the same case as
having /dev/sda becoming /dev/sdb after adding disk.

Note that *tree* path actually remains persistent, in all cases it is
0000:00 - 1c.4 - 00.0, but unfortunately it is not what is used to
identify device.

OTOH I suspect the answer from upstream would be "we do not guarantee
persistence if hardware configuration changes".

But wasn't this the main promise of "predictable" naming?

I do not know about "main" but reviewing
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/PredictableNetworkInterfaceNames/
it does promise "Stable interface names even when hardware is added or
removed" so this makes it topic for upstream bug report.