Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: eth0 Vote
Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
See my other reply. You added additional PCI bridge(s) which caused
all subsequent numbers to be shifted. Basically the same case as
having /dev/sda becoming /dev/sdb after adding disk.

Note that *tree* path actually remains persistent, in all cases it is
0000:00 - 1c.4 - 00.0, but unfortunately it is not what is used to
identify device.

OTOH I suspect the answer from upstream would be "we do not guarantee
persistence if hardware configuration changes".

But wasn't this the main promise of "predictable" naming?

Ciao, Michael.