Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: eth0 Vote
  • From: Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 13:17:41 +0300
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 1:14 AM, Bernhard Held <berny156@xxxxxx> wrote:
Am 27.10.2015 um 11:31 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:

On Monday 2015-10-26 22:38, Bernhard Held wrote:

Adding or removing a card does not change the naming of others
when going Predictable.

The only built-in ethernet port on my Gigabyte G33-DS3R sometimes comes
up with
enp3s0 instead of enp4s0. The presence of e.g. a Firewire adapter
influences
the naming too.

Interesting case. If you get the chance, could you provide the output
of `lspci -tv; lsusb; lsusb -tv` for the two cases when it happens again?

The outputs are attached:
enp3s0: after removing the HD5450 GPU and using the integrated GPU
enp4s0: my normal situation
enp5s0: after adding an USB3 adapter

In my case it might be predictable but certainly not persistent. Is this
expected?

See my other reply. You added additional PCI bridge(s) which caused
all subsequent numbers to be shifted. Basically the same case as
having /dev/sda becoming /dev/sdb after adding disk.

Note that *tree* path actually remains persistent, in all cases it is
0000:00 - 1c.4 - 00.0, but unfortunately it is not what is used to
identify device.

OTOH I suspect the answer from upstream would be "we do not guarantee
persistence if hardware configuration changes".