Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: eth0 Vote
  • From: "Bernhard M. Wiedemann" <bernhardout2@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 13:45:30 +0100

On 2015-10-26 22:07, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Monday 2015-10-26 21:32, Thorolf Godawa wrote:

That is what I see too, laptops have three network ports maximum
(eth0, wlan0, ... ), desktops often only one and for server with
several IFs, you do not want that the name changes, just because
the extra card goes into an other slot.

Adding or removing a card does not change the naming of others
when going Predictable.

I once added a graphics card to my machine and it changed the name of
my enp2s0 or so network device (a 3 instead of 2 in the name) so that
I did not have network anymore.
So predictable names are not persistent names.
And thus I prefer persistent names most of the time.

Ciao
bernhard M.