Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
Richard Brown wrote:
On 26 October 2015 at 20:58, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah you're absolutely right. A newbie would carefully be checking every
setting, the experienced admin would be more into assuming everything is as
last time. We provide the defaults more for the newbie than for the
experienced admin.

Assuming your tone is intentionally sarcastic, I think it's fair to
say that we cannot and should not always "optimise for absolute
beginners"

Actually, it wasn't meant as sarcasm, but I agree that we should not optimise for absolute beginners.

I consider myself an experienced user and as we have a central firewall, I also always deselect the firewall. That's my choice - for an openSUSE default setup, I think it would be better to err on the side of caution and leave it in by default. Besides, yast-network complains when the firewall is not installed.

In this day and age, an individuals computer security should be
considered at least somewhat of their own responsibility.

We provide the tools for that, and we provide sensible defaults for
the scenarios we offer

I think our previous defaults were already sufficiently sensible, I don't see removing yast and the firewall improving on that at all.

/Per