Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: eth0 Vote
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 09:04:58AM +0300, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 2:49 AM, Ben Holmes <bholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
G'day all,

As long as there is a choice and it is easy, I don't think it matters.
Perhaps a nice "tick box" in YaST would be a good feature one day, but
probably not (see the last point below).

As for what should be default, I personally thing it should be Predictable
since:
* It is easy to change to Persistent from Predictable, but not necessarily
as easy
the other way. (To disable Predictable IF naming, just add "net.ifnames=0"
to your boot cmdline).

This requires to remove the generated rules

/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

and a reboot with the net.ifnames=1 due to patch
1021-udev-re-add-persistent-net-rules.patch

No, you cannot change it this way. There is no code in udev to do
old-style renaming. You can disable use of net_id names, that's true,
but then you are responsible for providing alternate solution to
reliably rename interfaces if you want it. Disabling Predictable does
not automatically give you Persistent.

With patch 1021-udev-re-add-persistent-net-rules.patch this automatic
operation works out of the box.

This patch changes the default in enable_name_policy() of
src/udev/net/link-config.c
and add a lot of stuff to generate 70-persistent-net.rules

Werner