Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
On 27.10.2015 10:38, Lukas Ocilka wrote:
On 27.10.2015 09:44, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

On Tuesday 2015-10-27 07:19, Johannes Kastl wrote:
On 24.10.15 Stefan Seyfried wrote:

Why would you use a "server" pattern with your new shiny
bullshit-bingo technology?

Maybe because there is no "minimal container" / "JeOS" / "VM" pattern?
Or is there?

Such a pattern would probably just include "aaa_base" (for /etc/passwd) and
/etc/zypp/repos.d (but this generally is not part of a pattern), because
containers have no need for bootloaders, kernels, not even an init system,
and sometimes not even a shell.

I thought about this during the weekend and while I still believe that
Yast is not necessary (if fact, not wanted) in Minimal Server pattern,
it should contain everything that is actually needed for a minimal
server, which also includes "some kind of Kernel" and bootloader.

The fact, that someone misuses Minimal Server pattern for Docker (it's
not a server!), or any new technology that comes later, is not a reason
for breaking that pattern for anyone else. "Minimal Container" is a nice
example of how it should look like, logically.
It would be good if the selection could trigger the "no recommends"
feature though - then we could be a bit more specific what's on that
installation and what isn't.

Greetings, Stephan