RE: [opensuse-factory] Re: eth0 Vote
G'day all,

As long as there is a choice and it is easy, I don't think it matters. Perhaps
a nice "tick box" in YaST would be a good feature one day, but probably not
(see the last point below).

As for what should be default, I personally thing it should be Predictable
since:
* It is easy to change to Persistent from Predictable, but not necessarily as
easy the other way. (To disable Predictable IF naming, just add
"net.ifnames=0" to your boot cmdline).
* It is what most other distros are doing.
* It is supported in upstream.
* People have started to get used to it and rely on it.
* People who get bugged by it probably have specific reasons for it and are
also the people who will have no problems disabling it.

If having eth0 instead of enp0s25 causes problems with some program, then it
should be (and is) classed as a bug and you can (and probably should) report it.

I run Tumbleweed as my day-to-day on my laptop and I use Persistent naming
since I am just used to typing eth0/wlan0/wwan0 etc. My main server that runs
CentOS usually uses br0, br1 etc since I am bridging for VMs and I also use
LACP and VLANs etc so the network config is fairly crazy. Other servers I have
use Predictable since I can't be stuffed changing it and my network config is
fairly static (particularly in VM guests). Some of the other guys here run
with Predictable and I find it a nuisance that I have to first find the name of
the device before I can do anything with it, but in general it doesn't exactly
take up my entire day and they guys who run Predictable really seem to like it
(one of them also runs Gnome 3 since he is a masochist).

Just my 0.02.

-- Ben

Ben Holmes
Customer Engineer
Interactive Pty Ltd
Telephone +61 7 3323 0800
Facsimile +61 7 3323 0899
Mobile +61 421 406 456
www.interactive.com.au

------Confidentiality & Legal Privilege-------------
"This email is intended for the named recipient only. The information contained
in this message may be confidential, or commercially sensitive. If you are not
the intended recipient you must not reproduce or distribute any part of the
email, disclose its contents to any other party, or take any action in reliance
on it. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender
immediately. Please delete this message from your computer. Confidentiality and
legal privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you."