Re: eth0 Vote (was: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum)
On Monday 2015-10-26 20:35, Michael Melcher wrote:

I'm for persistent networking. This has been the default since...I don't know,
back in the early 90s?

That feels like a stretch. Hotplug support appeared in Linux 2.4, around
that time was SuSE Linux 7.2 too. Until then, the order of eth*
interfaces was pretty much the same because all was coldplug, the kernel
module loading was orchestrated (no automatic loading of anything not
explicitly asked for), and serialized. Basically "good enough" for its
times.