[opensuse-factory] Re: eth0 Vote
Hi,

I'm for persistent networking. This has been the default since...I don't
know, back in the early 90s?
same for me, I can not see any reason for implementing predictable
network device naming enp0s3, it just make the admin's life much more
complicated.

CentOS 7 is doing that too, but fortunately you (still?) can disable all
that trash, including the NetworkManager, that is just nonsens on servers!

Most end user devices have only one Ethernet card anyway. Maybe two. This
whole predictable naming imho makes only sense for systems with many more
cards.
That is what I see too, laptops have three network ports maximum (eth0,
wlan0, ... ), desktops often only one and for server with several IFs,
you do not want that the name changes, just because the extra card goes
into an other slot.

To make these names permanent, naming the ethX-IFs based on their MAC
addresses in the udev-rules is a reliable solution.
--

kind regards,

Thorolf