Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:15:28 +0100
On 26 October 2015 at 20:58, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yeah you're absolutely right. A newbie would carefully be checking every
setting, the experienced admin would be more into assuming everything is as
last time. We provide the defaults more for the newbie than for the
experienced admin.

Assuming your tone is intentionally sarcastic, I think it's fair to
say that we cannot and should not always "optimise for absolute
beginners"

In this day and age, an individuals computer security should be
considered at least somewhat of their own responsibility.

We provide the tools for that, and we provide sensible defaults for
the scenarios we offer

But lets entertain the thought of ensuring our newbie experience is sensible

For newbies, they are likely to install KDE or GNOME, where the
firewall is enabled by default

Yes, it's disabled by default in the minimal install, but if you truly
believe a newbie can handle a console-only installation, but needs to
have a firewall automatically enabled by default because it's too
hard..then you must have a very different definition of newbie than I
do.. I'd consider that an 'advanced' scenario, and I think our
defaults fit that.