Re: [opensuse-factory] dumbfounded by Enlightenment
  • From: Tomáš Čech <sleep_walker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 19:15:30 +0100
Hi Felix,

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 09:06:43AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
I've never tried E before. I'd always managed to get along well enough or
better with TDE, KDE3 or KDE4, but since all are missing from Leap, and K5
remains intolerable, I had to try something other than too simplistic IceWM
or TWM, and picked E to try for a fresh installation on a 3.0GHz Core2Duo
with Intel 945G video. I'm dumbfounded what a sloth it is, and that it won't
even start without compositing enabled to slow everything down. Its
unintuitive themes, colors and fonts management, and Goth theming, would make
it a non-starter even if it wasn't so slow. What the secret to changing a
window's size is I have yet to figure out. Seriously disappointing.

Thank you for your kind and warm words.

1] I share your "concerns" about the speed of E on Intel video cards,
Enlightenment Foundation Libraries were always demanding on quality
of drivers and had problems with Intel (I have the same). E18+
can't disable compositing at all only its effects. You can try E17
from X11:Enlightenment:Factory instead to enjoy the speed.

2] Themes, colors, fonts - I was satisfied with what I got, you are
not. It's matter of taste (and skill). If you'd ever feel the urge
to create E theme, you can find it's theming engine is quite
powerful and community welcome every new theme effort.

Have a nice day.

Tomas