Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 17:49:34 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2015-10-24 00:32, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
But a firewall is quite an important part of any installation
really, I would consider an installation, even if minimal,
without a firewall, quite irresponsible. But selecting it back is
easy, and it is indeed the minimal pattern, which strives to be
minimal. Pulling in full perl would indeed hurt that objective.

Really? Sorry - no: I have NEVER worked in an enterprise where the
firewall was not centralized BEFORE the server farm... maintaining
firewall rules in every single instance is certain to give you
headaches which you do not need.

Well, not every openSUSE user is installing servers in such
enterprises. It can be very small setups and homes, too.

Yes, a webserver with owncloud on a dynamic IP for instance.

I also don't install the SUSEfirewall because we have a central
firewall, but most customers will likely want the firewall on their
rented servers.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.6°C)