Re: [opensuse-factory] ownCloud Client in Tumbleweed
Hi Klaas,

On Mon, 2015-10-26 at 12:21 +0100, Klaas Freitag wrote:
Hi,

I would finally like to maintain the packages of the ownCloud sync
client for openSUSE Tumbleweed in the openSUSE repos rather than in
"our" repo isv:ownCloud:desktop. I hope that is appreciated.

Very much so! I think it will be a great addition to have it in the
main repository.

Here are some questions:

1. Is the spec file as in isv:ownCloud:desktop [1] acceptable for
tumbleweed? It is a multi-distro spec file and a bit cluttered by the
%if statements. If it should be cleaned, is there a magic command to
output it after the %ifs have been resolved?

Being multi-dist aware is not a problem for the .spec file in openSUSE;
of course you might get community contributions that are not always
taking care of non-openSUSE specialities; but that would be up to the
maintainer team to handle and adjust.

Then, there are a couple rpmlint warnings that would be really nice to
get out of the way... part of the normal review process basically:

owncloud-client.x86_64: W: standard-dir-owned-by-package /etc
  That really should not be owned.. you can put as many
  files/directories in it as you want..

libowncloudsync0.x86_64: W: shlib-policy-nonversioned-dir
/usr/lib64/owncloud => there seems to be a second, private library in
this directory. If you ensure that this one follows the sonum changes
of the main library you're safe. Basically, you have to consider what
would happen if /usr/lib64/libwoncloudsync.so.0 changes ABI, you're
forced to name it *.so.1; what happens to the private library? Will it
stay compatible? Will it change it's name in sync? Then you're fine.

If it does not change the name together with the main lib, you have an
issue: libowncloudsync0 and libowncloudsync1 would not be allowed to be
parallel installed, which is a requirement for the shared libraries.

libowncloudsync0.x86_64: W: file-contains-date-and-time
/usr/lib64/libowncloudsync.so.2.0.2
Build date and time generally give you very few information in
debugging. I can build an old tree in five years. But more annoyingly:
it stops OBS from seeing that a build did not change and OBS can't
discard it, so it will have to publish it over and over.

And a side note: this warning actually also shows that the name
libowncloudsync0 is not an appropriate name for this library package
(it should be libowncloudsync2)

2. Wouldn't it be easiest to have isv:ownCloud:desktop as a devel
project for it? Is that doable?

That's certainly doable - and I think in the case where an isv is
actively doing the maintenance, also the right thing to do.

3. We could do a bit of theming of the client (mainly icons) to make
it
more openSUSE branded. If there is interest, who could help doing
that,
as my design skills are ...not that big.

Maybe reach out to the artwork team (opensuse-artwork@xxxxxxxxxxxx);
then can do things which we can't.

Best regards,
Dominique