Re: [opensuse-factory] Version Bump for Squid in Leap
Am 26.10.2015 um 14:30 schrieb Michael Melcher:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:54 PM, Wolfgang Rosenauer
<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The current version of squid in Leap is provided by SLE12.
-> this means; it is maintained by SUSE in the enterprise space
which means at least something

Since Leap was pulled from SLE it could mean two things: 1: There
actually is a reason to Keep the Version from SLE or 2: nobody
bothered yet to upgrade it yet.

Yes, absolutely correct. I cannot answer that question as well. The
openSUSE squid maintainer probably knows.

Now the usual questions to be answered are:
- which advantages does an update have?
("a newer version is available" is probably not enough of an argument)

New Versions usually bring bug fixes and security fixes. Aside from
that, the Squid Team itself suggests upgrading.
From The Freenode IRC Channel: * Topic for #squid is: Don't ask to
ask, just ask and wait. PasteBin squid.conf if need be. | Or try
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq | http://workaround.org/f=squid |
Please upgrade to Squid-3.5.10 or 4.0.1 beta

The ChangeLog (which seems to be an actual Code Diff is about 973
lines Long: http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v3/3.5/squid-3.5.10.patch
The first 30 lines of the Change Log are good enough a reason for me
to request an upgrade :-)

This is always the case. And in one month the version we included is
again outdated. In 95 out of 100 version updates you find bugs fixed and
still we have to freeze.
Let's break down the above question to a few more related ones:
- is an update worth the effort to transfer maintenance work
from SUSE to openSUSE?
- would you step up to maintain squid in Leap 42 and do the additional
maintenance work?
- is it important to keep some kind of compatibility for squid on
SLE12 and Leap 42?

I have an opinion about all these questions. Depending on your arguments
the decision could be changed (apart from the fact that it's basically
too late for 42.1 but can be readdressed with 42.2).

- will the openSUSE community do the maintenance for 3.5.10 for the
Leap lifetime?
(for this asking on the mailing list only helps partially)

If not on the Mailing list, where else?

as I said. Asking the maintainer ...

-> first approach would be to ask the openSUSE maintainer:
osc maintainer -e openSUSE:Factory squid
what he thinks about it and depending on the answer more discussions
might be required.

I'll ask them.

yes, the right thing to do and I'll shut up now since squid is really
not my topic. I just wanted to explain possible reasoning and ways how
to handle these type of requests.

Wolfgang