Re: [opensuse-factory] Some thought's on standard openSUSE patterns.
On 26/10/15 12:16, Gerrit Kruse wrote:
Ok, then we simply have a different approach. I think too many pre-installed
programs confuse most users. Especially if they overlap in funcions like
diigkam and gwenview or plasma-pa and kmix.

Digikam and Gwenview don't overlap. The former is a full-featured photo management app, for organizing albums, applying effects, analyzing technical image specs, etc. Gwenview is a more simple viewer application for browsing photos and doing basic organization. They complement each other. I use Gwenview all the time but only launch Digikam every couple of months.

More generally, I know there's been a trend in recent years for many other distros to trim their software selection and propose a more lean install, and whilst I'm not advocating an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink approach, openSUSE has generally been more about giving the user choice.

There's other ways to slim down an openSUSE install, using SUSE Studio for example, or picking one of the live CDs to install from, although that has become less recommended of late. I rather like the full selection of default apps which I've always had with openSUSE. I use KDE but I most definitely want GIMP, LibreOffice and Firefox, as opposed to being constrained to Kolorpaint, Calligra and ReKonq. Not that any of those latter apps are bad, they're great, but I want them all. In one sense, that 'something for everyone' is actually a differentiating factor with openSUSE. Just about every other distro is trying to go the other way, that doesn't mean SUSE has to as well, especially if that flies in the face of what it has always stood for.

If people want a lean distro with a refined default software selection and the afore-mentioned Studio or Live images are no good, there's always 600 other distros to choose from.

Just my two cents, five pence, twenty centimes and three grozys... always good to have options.

gumb