Re: [opensuse-factory] Some thought's on standard openSUSE patterns.
  • From: jcsl <trcs@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 12:32:35 +0100
Hi.

El Lunes, 26 de octubre de 2015 11:21:23 Gerrit Kruse escribió:
I know it's a bit too late for the upcoming leap release, nevertheless...

First: The standard installation with KDE as default desktop leads to a
mixture of old and new software.

- Why do openSUSE still uses Apper as package manager. Apper is discontinued
by upstream development.
- Why ist KDEPIM4 the default while KDEPIM5 is in the repos.
- Kleopatra is ported to KF5 while KGPG not. Why not deliver Kleopatra by
default?
- KDE Plasma 5 has an integrated audio-applet (plasma-pa). Why openSUSE has
KMix also pre-installed?

I was told that audio-applet only works with PulseAudio. I use ALSA but I
could install KMix by myself.

- openSUSE prefers the unmaintained Kopete. Why not the up to date KDE-
Telepathy?
- IceWM? Realy?

I think so because I know how to manage software, but we also have to think on
the new users coming to GNU/Linux from others OS. Install/uninstall software
is a bit confusing at the beginning. In addition it's a plus for many users
that like having the software installed just in case...

Secondery: OpenSUSE delivers a very bloated standard installation. The
question which audience openSUSE Leap has.

- Do the Users need android-tools by default?
- Do they need a semi-professional photo-suite like digikam? Gwenview
should cover most needs.
- How many users are really need a professional image editing tool like
GIMP? - Why should KDE-Users need GNOME-Tools like gnomeonlineaccounts or
system- config-printer?

I think that GTK programs installed (GIMP, Firefox, ...) add them as
dependencies.

- Why do openSUSE install by default a bunch of lib32-Packages on an 64bit
system?

I wonder this too. I figure there are 32 bits applications shipped with the DVD
that needs them. I always perform custom installations and remove all the 32
bits packages without any issue. WINE is the only program I seldom use that
triggers 32 bits packages installation.

- Do normal users need an mailserver like postfix?

P.S. Sorry for my bad English.

People shouldn't apologize for not knowing a foreign language but be thankful
for trying to do so. My English is bad too but and I have no problems with it,
I just try to improve my knowledge of the language. :)

Greetings.