[opensuse-factory] Re: [Leap 42.1] Found a .doc document that LilbreOffice fails to render correctly. From the administration.
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 20:39:49 +0000 (UTC)

On 2015-10-24 21:27, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 24 Oct 2015 17:26:46 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

It got so bad that I had to take time to create something to
*specifically* enforce the ban, because in general, NNTP users being
banned on the web interface is ineffective.

I did not enjoy having to create software to *specifically* deal with
you in the forums.

Waste of time. As soon as I learned I was banned, which was not
immediate, I obeyed and stopped posting. I didn't even try to change my
address and answer those that replied to my posts after I got banned,
which is a very impolite thing to do (talking of one in one's back).

Look here, I obey orders. It is in my temperament.

The only reason we had to take action was specifically because you
*weren't* taking direction, Carlos. And because you weren't taking
direction on other things, we needed to create something to ensure that
it would. Indeed, you did post a few messages after the notification was
sent via PM (which was sent to your registered e-mail address). To your
credit, you did observe the ban after we deleted about 4 or 5 posts you
made after it was instituted. But your past behaviour of not taking
direction made it clear that we were probably going to need to ensure
that it was observed.

I also very specifically - on one of the mailing lists, in fact - told
you to stop trying to moderate other users' posts in-thread. You've
*repeatedly* been told *by staff* not to reply to spammy posts (for
example, posts that are replies to messages years old that provide a
Windows solution and a link - *always* *always* *ALWAYS* are spam posts -
yet you still continue to reply to them pointing out that the software
being referenced is Windows software), yet we still end up cleaning up
replies you make to them. Again, not a frequent occurrence, but it adds
up with all the other stuff that we've had to deal with over the years.

As I said before, I can't count the number of times you've replied to
threads without adding anything substantially new to them, instead
duplicating information already provided, or adding a comment to an
ongoing thread where you've not been participating that just says "I have
no idea" or something like that. If you don't know, there's no reason to
say anything, especially if the question wasn't directed at you in the
first place.

Or the number of times where you have gotten into a debate over trivial
edge-cases that don't apply to a user's situation.

As I said, your posts get reported more than any other users' for adding
nothing to the discussion. We've tried being nice in our direction to
you about how to contribute in an effective way, and nothing has changed.

The guidance/advice that I would give you is to carefully consider before
posting whether or not you're adding anything new to the conversation -
or anything substantial. You are a *very* prolific writer, and the best
way to be noticed is not to participate in every thread or discussion you
can, but to be selective and participate where you can add value. You
don't want to be seen as the "me too!" person in the majority of your
participation. Focus on quality posts and information, rather than
quantity. That will help you *a lot*.

Jim
--
Jim Henderson