Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 16:54:35 +0200
Michal Kubecek wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 07:55:55PM +0200, Per Jessen wrote:
Michal Kubecek wrote:

On the other hand, I can't imagine running a server without
tcpdump, netcat or screen. Someone else might feel the same about
e.g. kdump. But we have enough sense not to insist those must be
part of a minimal server pattern just because we want them on all
_our_ servers.

Yet we insist that everyone needs e.g. strace, bc, btrfsutils, shim,
wireless stuff and what have you (see my list in my previous
posting).

Hm... do we? I mean: did you submit a request to remove these from the
minimal pattern?

Well no, I have had no reason to. The minimal pattern has suited me
quite well until recently. It doesn't take too long to install, and
only takes up about 1Gb of disk-space.
When I wrote "we insist that everyone needs" I meant say that the
maintainer of the minimum pattern seems to think that strace, bc,
btrfsutils, shim etc. are all more important than YaST (in the minimum
server pattern).

I guess you might have problem with e.g. btrfsutils (btrfs being the
default for root filesystem) but I would be really interested in
arguments why bc is a necessity (I don't believe it is; I would rather
expect the only reason for it being there is that so far noone
formally requested its removal).

If it were so easy, maybe I should just have formally requested the
re-inclusion of YaST and we wouldn't have had this long thread :-)

I have no problem with strace, bc, btrfsutils, shim etc., except that if
we're cutting down the minimum pattern to the bone, we should have
started with those instead of YaST.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.9°C)