Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 16:14:39 +0200
Brian "DragonLord" Wong wrote:

I'd consider the kernel non-essential in a paravirtualized environment
provided by Xen or KVM, since a kernel is supplied by the hypervisor
itself at boot time.

We're going off-topic, but that is not necessarily the case. You can
have a xen guest boot a bootloader and load the kernel from the guest's
root filesystem.

Of course, this wouldn't work in a fully
virtualized or bare-metal environment. Perhaps we need separate
patterns for paravirtualized/container and
bare-metal/fully-virtualized environments, and have the system choose
the right pattern depending on the detected platform?

Some of that is already being done, at least partially.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.5°C)