Re: [opensuse-factory] leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: "Brian \"DragonLord\" Wong" <draconicpenguin1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 17:35:26 -0400

On 10/23/2015 5:21 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Per Jessen composed on 2015-10-23 21:22 (UTC+0200):

Claudio Freire wrote:

I don't really like removing SuSEfirewall2. The rationale,
avoiding perl, seems to be the motive. Most of that is to avoid
pulling in perl. But a firewall is quite an important part of
any installation really, I would consider an installation, even
if minimal, without a firewall, quite irresponsible.

Exactly!

That presumes the instant server isn't behind a firewall already.
It should be up to those who need to be behind one or more
firewalls to ensure it/they happen on purpose, and not by accident
of an installer's defaults when the goal is "minimal".

I'd personally consider zypper to be essential. The zypp framework
isn't tiny, but it's necessary to perform key package management tasks
on a SUSE system such as updating in a reasonably easy manner. Same
goes for things like aaa_base, and we'd still need things like mv/cp
and a compact text editor such as nano. I wouldn't recommend using
busybox to replace the core system utilities as that could break
scripts that expect a full bash shell.

I'd consider the kernel non-essential in a paravirtualized environment
provided by Xen or KVM, since a kernel is supplied by the hypervisor
itself at boot time. Of course, this wouldn't work in a fully
virtualized or bare-metal environment. Perhaps we need separate
patterns for paravirtualized/container and
bare-metal/fully-virtualized environments, and have the system choose
the right pattern depending on the detected platform?

If an extremely small installation is designed in such a way that
certain administrative tools are not available, it's best to note that
in /etc/motd to ensure that the user isn't left helpless when programs
like YaST and vi aren't available.

- --
Brian "DragonLord" Wong
http://www.fierydragonlord.com/