Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: leap42 - minimum server pattern has become too minimum
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 21:34:21 +0200
Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Michal Kubecek wrote:

On Friday 23 of October 2015 17:30:41 Per Jessen wrote:
Claudio Freire wrote:
Yes, but call the pattern "container minimal". Calling it
"server" makes it seem like it's for a... you know... server.
Which elicits thoughts of a physical machine in my language.

Absolutely. A virtual server too, but first and foremost real
iron.

Less and less true, these days. Actually, I believe the percentage
of server systems running on their dedicated physical machines is
already decreasing for 10-15 years.

Maybe not quite that far back, but as Claudio says, the word "server"
elicits thoughts of a physical machine.

Roughly 10 years ago I was system architect at Ford (as a consultant).

10 years is probably more accurate - in 2005, Xen was just about getting
production ready, but only just.

We were put through a physical to virtual migration. It actually
failed for reasons I never understood, but they were certainly
aggressively trying to consolidate physical servers into virtual
platforms.

There is a lot of power to be saved. I've used virtual systems (hosted
on VM/XA) for development for many years of my professional life.
(stemming back to the 1980s). I have also recently migrated a number
of physical openSUSE systems to virtual Xen guests.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (11.3°C)